Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My ambassador application to CCLC

Francesca Gallozzi
Center for Children and Families/CSUSM
World Forum Foundation Application – February 2009

Why do you want to represent CCLC at the World Forum?
I work for CCLC because I care deeply about what we do on behalf of children and I am proud of our connection to the university and to the other employers we serve. CCLC represents one model of quality early education programs in America, with sites that utilize best practices as we know them. The World Forum is a rare opportunity for us to share American practices with the international community while learning how other countries and cultures provide such programs for their children.

I would bring to the forum what I have brought to CCLC: a strong academic background and expertise in early education; broad experience in the American educational system (private, public, and for-profit schools and programs in five states); a reflective nature; and an ability to communicate openly and respectfully with people from all cultures. It is refreshing just to think about the conversations that might happen in these workshops. I am excited at the prospect of identifying the universal values that unite us across the globe in our work with children.Several of the topics up for discussion at the 2009 forum are directly related to my current and former experiences in teacher education, early education leadership, and curriculum models. Also, I am currently working with a CSUSM professor on a research project about Social Justice and Equity, which is related to the topic of peace education. In addition, I am curious about whether CCLC is considering expanding to the world market, since workplace development is also a topic for discussion at the forum.

How would you share your experience?

It would be fun to share the experience through a blog or online journal with colleagues, my own staff, and even our center’s families. Those who know me know I love to write, and that a journal would be an appealing and effective medium for communication. I could create a video and facilitate a discussion of the trip for CCLC’s Staff Development Day; what an opportunity for us all to enrich and extend our thinking about the children we care for!

I am also intrigued by the possibility of joining (or perhaps creating) an online forum which would connect early childhood professionals around the world. Such a forum would establish cross-cultural connections and relationships—a global network-- that would endure beyond the duration of the conference.

What does being an “Ambassador” mean to you?

An appealing ambassador is poised, articulate, and represents her country well. An ambassador is also respectful of and interested in the diverse cultures with which she comes into contact. The ambassador can effectively articulate her country’s position while gleaning new understanding and appreciation for others’ perspectives.I am fortunate to have spent summers traveling internationally as a child and college student, which makes me a seasoned and confident traveler not easily flustered by the inevitable complications of an overseas adventure! In preparation, I would be inspired to work on my unused (and admittedly limited) Italian and French—enough at least to meet and greet in both languages. While Ireland will be a new place for me to visit, what intrigues me most about this trip is the prospect of meeting and working with the diverse participants, and returning to our country and company with inspired ideas, new resources, and valuable relationships.

And, finally, I must admit that I would also look forward to sharing a pint of Guinness and some soda bread with Ty and Fran while singing “Danny Boy” in a tumbledown pub in Belfast. It would be a privilege!

Thanks for your consideration,
Francesca
February 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment